2) Watch Mr. Pate's video about colonial angst. Hint, Hint...take notes. It's only 13
minutes long and you should watch the whole thing. Bad things happen to those
who don't. Remember the girl in the well from the movie "The Ring"? She's waiting
for students who turn off the video early.
Due for Wednesday or Thursday 9/5 and 9/6 -Spanish vs. English Settlement
1) If we did not finish this video in class, please watch it. The professor does an
AMAZING job of describing the differences between the Northern (Mass Bay)
and Southern (Jamestown and Chesapeake Bay) English colonies. It's 25 minutes
of incredibly useful info. Then answer these questions. You'll... appreciate having
watched it when test day arrives.
characteristics of the original 13 (actually 12) colonies. Fun fact-Delaware wasn't
really a colony. It was just three lowland counties of Penn. The chart is due next
class on either Friday or Monday.
Due for Friday or Tuesday 8/30 and 9/3 -Exploration and Colonization Test
1) Textbook readings formally begin with Chapter 2... Read pgs. 40-79
2) Answer the following questions:
a) How did the N. American colonies of the Spanish, Dutch, French and English differ?
b) Why were death rates so high in early Jamestown (and other southern colonies)?
c) Explain why Bacon's Rebellion is so important to US history. (pg. 56)
d) What were the differences between the Pilgrims and the Puritans? (pg. 58)
e) What were the major differences between the North & Southern English colonies?
f) What did John Winthrop mean when he called Mass. Bay a "City on a Hill"?
g) How were the New England Town Meetings a different form of democracy
than Virginia's House of Burgesses?
h) What were the long term impacts of King Philip's War on New England?
I) Why did the leaders of Massachusetts Bay expel Roger Williams and
3) Rho Kappa, the History Honor Society has an interest meeting on Tuesday (9/3)
at 4:25 in Mr. Vitale's trailer. Drop by for a taste of what's to come this year. Officer
elections will be held next week at the 9/11 meeting.
4) Please order the AMSCO guide (any edition is ok). It can be found at the following link
for about $18.95. (Although optional, the AMSCO guide is VERY helpful)
Due for Wednesday or Thursday 8/28 & 29 - Exploration and Colonization
1) We will begin with these class notes on early colonial terms today.
2) The Colonial Era Powerpoints from class have been loaded here if you wish to
3) Optional (Extra Credit) - Finish watching the following movie about the Colombian
Exchange and complete these questions from class. Yes, its over an hour, but its
the BEST review on the discovery of the Americas and it will prepare you for the Unit
test. If you have the time, this video is well worth it.
Due for Monday or Tuesday 8/26 & 27- Welcome!
1) Please finish the summer assignment and have it ready for turn-in today. The first
test is scheduled next Friday/Tuesday and is based on the terms, themes and
locations from the summer assignment.
3) Please sign in at the AP website and enroll in your class section. You will use the
following join code based on your class:
Period 1A - ZKXXE9 Period 4B- 7X4QA7
This is NOT optional.
If you are confused or need help for any reason, please do not hesitate to
contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org